Last Updated January 2021
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT
In general, we collect information, including personal information, when you interact with us and use our Websites and Mobile App. When we use the term “personal information,” we mean any information about an individual from which that individual can be identified. We may collect this personal information from various sources, such as:
- Directly from you when you use the Websites or Mobile App, such as when you donate; register for an account; upload, view, or download certain features or content; participate in events; or enter contests or sweepstakes;
- Automatically through you use of the our Websites and Mobile App;
- Social networks through which you may access the Websites or Mobile App or otherwise interact with us; and
- Our affiliates, service providers, business partners, and other third parties.
Personal Information You Provide to Us
Through your use of the Websites and Mobile App and your interactions with us, you may provide us with the following types of personal information:
- Contact information (such as your [billing or] mailing address, company name, email address, or phone number);
- Demographic information (such as age, date of birth, or gender);
- Login information (such as username, password, and security questions and answers);
- Correspondence and communications (such as records of information provided by you when you contact us with feedback, comments, questions, or for any other reason); and
- Information recorded through the Mobile App (such as synced data about your steps or hours of exercise from health apps on Android or Apple phones or watches, or self-reported data about your fitness activities that you log manually into the Mobile App [or that you sync with your mobile fitness apps]).
We use a third-party payment processor to process payments and donations made to us. In connection with the processing of such payments and donations, we do not obtain your payment card information.
Personal Information Collected Automatically
We may automatically collect the following information, which may include personal information, through our Websites and Mobile App:
- Log Files. Records of a range of variables about your visit to our Websites, including: your browser type and language, app version, access times, pages viewed, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, approximate geographic location, and the webpage or online service you visited before navigating to our Websites.
- Website Browsing Data. Information gathered while you browse our Website, including technical, usage, and navigational data that shows what pages you have visited and how long various features are used.
- Device Information. Information about the device you use to access our Website or Mobile App, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and may include personal information, or we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive it from third parties. It helps us to improve and personalize our Websites and Mobile App, including by enabling us to identify and authenticate users.
How We Respond to Do Not Track Signals
- HOW WE USE THE PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We will collect, hold, and process personal information provided by you for the purposes outlined below.
Purpose for Processing Your Personal Information
We may process your personal information for the following purposes:
- To process donations, complete other transactions you have requested using the Websites or Mobile App, and provide you with products and services you request;
- To send you information or materials you request;
- To maintain a record of your donations and other transactions using the Websites or Mobile App;
- To respond to your questions and comments and provide customer support;
- To communicate with you about our services, promotions, and events;
- To operate, evaluate, and improve our organization and the products and services we offer;
- To analyze and enhance our marketing communications and strategies;
- To analyze trends and statistics regarding use of the Websites and Mobile App and transactions conducted through them;
- To protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims, and other liabilities, and manage risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users;
- To comply with applicable legal requirements and industry standards.
We also may use the information we obtain about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
- HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will store your personal information only for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. Such purposes include providing you with access to our Websites and Mobile Apps, processing donations, as required by law, and for the exercise or defense of legal claims.
Retention periods can vary based on the type of information and how it is used. We have established retention periods based on several criteria, including the type of data collected, our purposes for collecting it, applicable laws, pending or potential litigation, intellectual or property rights, contract requirements, and historical archiving.
- DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual user, without restriction. We may disclose personal information about you:
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them;
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of users of the Services, or others; and
- With your consent.
- DATA TRANSFERS
We are an international nonprofit with headquarters in the U.S. As such, your personal information may be transferred, stored, or otherwise processed in the U.S. and other locations. When you provide personal information to us from outside of the United States, please be aware that we will receive and process it in the U.S., and that U.S. data protection laws may be different from those of your country of residence. We may transfer the personal information we collect to other countries where we do business, which may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you originally provided the data.
We work with a number of third-party service providers to provide the Websites and Mobile App to you.
- DATA SECURITY
We have implemented measures intended to protect your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. Please note that the electronic transmission of information is not completely secure. We cannot guarantee that the security measures we have in place to safeguard personal information will never fail or be defeated, or that such measures will always be sufficient or effective. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk.
- YOUR CHOICES
We offer the following choices about the information we collect from you and how we communicate with you:
Accessing and Changing Your Information
We take reasonable steps to keep your personal information accurate and complete. If you have an account with us, you can review and change the personal information associated with your account by logging into your account and visiting your account profile page. You may also send us an email at email@example.com to request access to, or to correct any personal information that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
Most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to be notified when you receive a new cookie, and how to disable existing cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of all the features of the Websites and Mobile App.
If you have received a promotional email from us, you can also opt out of receiving future promotional emails from us by following the unsubscribe instructions contained in the email.
You may opt out of the aggregation and analysis of data collected about you on our website by Google Analytics by installing the browser add-on available at: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Although we do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising or other targeted content, a number of these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted advertisements from members of the Network Advertising Initiative by visiting http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices.
- CONTACT US
142 W 57th Street, Floor 11
New York, NY 10019
Connect with Us